Friday, March 31, 2023

AN 89 YEAR OLD RETIRED PRIVATE EYE GOT A MUNICIPALITY TO MAKE THE ROADS SAFER BY THREATENING TO START A NEW CAREER AS A ROAD MARKING PAINTER

 Dear Readers,

DearJon the bogeyman

         I live in the estate of Imhoff's Gift in Cape Town and I take our maid home regularly to the coloured township of Ocean View where there are a lot of traffic calming humps in the roads. But the lines on these that are designed to make them visible have not been painted for years making them impossible to see in the shade of a tree. Stop signs were also invisible in the shade.         

       After I just about hit the roof of my car while going over one of them I decided to follow the example of the section of our society that really gets things done. A ‘boer maak a plan’ was the only answer, so I sent the following email to the Mayor of Cape Town on Monday 30th of January.

 


The email conversation I had with the Council then went like this:

3.2. 2023 Thank you for your email received via the City of Cape Town.  Your reference number is 7200390252. Kindly advise the street name of where the repainting of speed humps are required. Once received, we will escalate same to the relevant department for action.  Garrin Bartus, Communications Officer.

6.2.2023 Dear Garrin Bartus, As it’s obvious that no line painting has started yet is it okay for me to start doing it on this coming Monday???? Regards, Jon Abbott

2.3.2023 Thank you for your email received. We have escalated a follow up to the Fish Hoek Depot. Once we receive feedback, we will forward same to you. Alternatively you may contact the Fish Hoek depot on 021 444 2452 - quote 400855871. Regards, Garrin Bartus.


1.3.2023 You keep giving meaningless replies, so as I said is it okay for me to go ahead painting the road humps in Ocean View this coming Monday. Please answer this question? Regards, Jon Abbott

2.3.2023 Below is an update from the depot -  

We are currently doing Pokela Rd Masi as they are in a poor state still, We have assessed Gemini and it is bad too. As soon as we are done in Pokela Rd, we will attend to Gemini as it is a main arterial. We will then return to Masi to finish the other bad areas that were previously logged. I have asked the district if they could assist in Ocean View with the help of a contractor. Regards, Garrin Bartus

         I had already bought a tin of road marking paint, which is certainly not cheap when I got the email above, but I was able to return the paint and get my money back.

Before and after my complaint

Almost to my Monday D Day the council painted the signs I had referred to in Gemini street as well as some others. It’s a start, but there is still a great deal more to be done in that township.


How many municipal workers does it take to paint
a few white letters  

Regards,
Jon, a Consumer Watchdog who get's things done even if he has to snarl occasionally.




No comments:

Post a Comment