Thursday, January 12, 2023

"THERE'S NO ONE THERE" WAS WHAT KEPT ECHOING THROUGH THE HUGE VOID IN MY MIND LEFT BY THE DEATH OF GAYLE MY WIFE OF 50 YEARS

 Dear Readers,

         Our girls Mandy, Sally and Belinda more commonly known as Boo were absolutely marvellous the way they supported me when my wife Gayle died a few weeks short of our 50th wedding anniversary. Their efforts were particularly commendable considering that I was in Cape Town and Mandy and Sally live in Johannesburg and Boo was a world away in Melbourne. They all came to hold my hand in what was certainly the biggest crisis of my 89 years.

         Thanks girls, thanks and thanks again. This is something even my dodgy memory will never forget. While dealing with their own grief they worked as one to do their best to see that I had as soft a landing as possible. The remarkable aspect of this was that living with me was never a ‘piece of cake’ for everyone.

The magnificent trio Sally, Boo and Mandy
         They all have their own lives to lead and that’s when reality really set in.

When I instinctively starting talking to her in the middle of the night there was no one there.

         When I needed her help to compile a shopping list before going to the supermarket there was no one there.

         When I wanted her to check one of my blog posts before I published it there was no one there.

         And when, just before the dawn of a sleepless night, I was sobbing uncontrollably like a tiny baby who had lost his dummy, it was just as well there was no one there to see the tears streaming down my face.

         A hard bitten, former Sunday Times investigative journalist turn Private Eye is not supposed to cry…EVER.   

 

         When as a 22 year old I hitch-hiked alone right through Africa and paddled 700 miles on the way by myself down the Congo River in a dug out canoe there was nobody to fish me out if my tiny craft had gone under, but that was nothing compare to the void there is when you lose your closest companion of so many years.

       God speed Gayley you were definitely the best wife I ever had.

         Regards to all of you and condolences to those of you who have had a similar experience.

         Jon

 

P.S.  I accept that I am just one of millions of people who have had to face this kind of reality, but I am sure you will all agree that it doesn’t make it any easier.

1 comment:

  1. ❤️a huge space left by a tiny dynamite package.

    ReplyDelete