Sunday, July 10, 2011

A sad reminder and a Great Tribute

Dear Mum,
        Here’s something that might interest you. It’s an out of the blue, sad reminder and a Great Tribute to my brother Michael, the second of your three boys.
        It’s the email conversation I had with John Midgley (1952) who was a year below me at Bishops, that posh Cape Town school that as you know the old man sent me to with unfortunately, very disappointing results. I must add that I never saw Midgley again after leaving school and I don’t blame him for not being able to spell John properly. But he certainly had a good memory for one of the Stars of the rugby team.
        Anyway here it is.

Hi John,
I see in the list I was sent in relation to the 60th anniversary celebrations of our year that I went to school with you. I couldn’t remember going to school when I was there. Hope to see you at the junket although I’ll probably be banned by the school (see Good Service Awards continued & Peter Toerien on my blog, http://dearjon-letter.blogspot.com). I started it for a bit of fun and to keep me off the streets.
*   *   *

I played rugby with mike abbott U 15 in 1950 and U 16 in 1951; he had an elder brother, not in my year; my matric year was 1952.
john m.
*   *   *

They seem to have got it wrong then because they have your matric year as 1951, the same as mine. I was the elder brother. Sadly Mike died a couple of years ago of cancer.  As the saying goes the “Good die young,” so you know what that makes me.
*   *   *

very sad to hear of mike's passing; he was an amazing centre who partnered paul cannon, a devastating pairing in the U16 A which was unbeaten in 1951;  I lost contact with him totally after 1952, a great pity. I remember you, but not very well. 
john m.      
       Lots of Love Mum,
        Jon



P.S. I realise Mum that you died 14 years ago, but here’s hoping you’ll get this wherever you are; not of course if we have to rely on the South African postal service because that has gone to HELL.

Buy my book 'Where have all the children gone?' on Amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment